When you have singaw due to fungal infection, you will experience a pronounced stinging pain on the affected area. This will cause difficulty in any movement of the mouth, such as eating and talking.
Daktarin® oral gel—which contains miconazole—can effectively treat singaw caused by fungi, with relief being experienced in as fast as two days.1 Daktarin comes in oral gel form which is easy to use and not painful to apply.
WHAT DAKTARIN® ORAL GEL is and what is it USED FOR?
Daktarin® oral gel is a medicine that contains an antifungal agent miconazole* which works by destroying the fungus that is present. It is used for the treatment of oral thrush or mouth sores due to fungal infection. The medicine comes in orange-flavored gel for oral application.
*Based on a clinical study1, miconazole is proven to be more effective versus nystatin in treating oral thrush or mouth sore due to fungal infection with faster cure rate of 97% – 100% after 7 days of treatment.
how to use DAKTARIN® ORAL GEL
Daktarin® Oral Gel is approved for use in adults and children 4 months and above
To get the most from your treatment with Daktarin® oral gel, here are the easy steps that you should follow:
- In applying Daktarin oral gel, use a clean finger or cotton swab to avoid contamination.
- Apply Daktarin oral gel on the affected area. Allow it to remain on the area for as long as possible before you swallow. Ideally, you should not eat or drink for about 30 minutes after using the gel, as this helps to prevent the medicine from being washed away too soon. If you have false teeth (dentures), you should also brush the gel onto your dentures after you take them out at night. This is to kill any fungus that may be on the dentures.
- Use it 4x a day after meals for at least a week after the symptoms have cleared up. This will make sure the infection is fully treated and thus help prevent it coming back . If you forget to take a dose, don't worry, just leave out the missed dose and take the next dose when it is due. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
- Daktarin should be stored at temperatures not exceeding 30C. Keep out of reach of children.
- If symptoms persist, consult your doctor
Daktarin® oral gel is available in 3.5 g and 10 g tubes in leading drugstores nationwide
WHEN NOT TO USE DAKTARIN® ORAL GEL
- If you are allergic to miconazole
- If you have any form of liver disease
- For children less than 4 months of age (choking hazard)
CAN I USE DAKTARIN® ORAL GEL WHILE PREGNANT OR BREASTFEEDING?
If you are pregnant or think you may be, you should inform your doctor, who will decide if you can take Daktarin® oral gel. If you are breast-feeding, you should consult your doctor first, who will decide if you can take Daktarin® oral gel. If you do breast-feed, do not apply the gel to your nipple to treat your baby.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF DAKTARIN® ORAL GEL?
The following side effects may occur with Daktarin® oral gel. If any of the side effects get serious, or you notice any side effects not listed here, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Common (affects less than one in 10 people):
- abnormal sense of taste
- dry mouth, discomfort in the mouth
- nausea, vomiting
- product tastes abnormal
Very rare (affects less than one in 10,000 people):
- allergic reaction, sometimes severe
- severe skin reaction, rash, hives
- liver damage
- discolored tongue, inflammation of the mouth
1 Reading, J.H et al: An Open Assessment of Miconazole Oral Gel in the Treatment of Paediatric Oral Candidosis in General Practice. Current Therapeutic Research Vol 30. No. 5 November 1981.
*Product Information Leaflet of Daktarin® oral gel. May 2015